Guidelines for 2022 Masao Horiba Awards
The purpose of this award is to encourage and recognize scientists and engineers relatively early in their careers who are achieving distinguished results in the field of analytical science and technology. We cordially invite applications from researchers all over the world who are enthusiastically engaged in original research and development at universities or public research facilities.
Eligible fields for 2022 Masao Horiba Awards
The award is focused on the following analytical and measurement technologies that contribute to the use of hydrogen and other related technologies for the decarbonization of society.
1: Those contributing to the realization of low-cost and low-energy hydrogen production processes. Including the conversion of hydrogen into hydrogen carriers.
2: Those contributing to carbon neutrality such as Carbon Capture, Utilization and Storage (CCUS). Using hydrogen as a starting material.
Eligibility of Applicant
An applicant should be a researcher or an engineer at a university or a public research facility worldwide, engaged in research and development in the field described above. The applicant should fulfill one of the following criteria:
- The applicant is expected to achieve outstanding academic or technological inventions or discoveries in research or development in a field eligible for this award.
- The applicant is expected to solve important academic or technological issues in the field eligible for this award.
The potential of the applicant is taken into account and highly evaluated rather than his/her current achievement. Applications from outside Japan must be made at the invitation from an employee of a HORIBA Group company.
Before accessing online application form, please make sure that you have read and agree with our program policies.
A certificate of commendation will be presented to each recipient of the 2022 Masao Horiba Award at the award ceremony. A supplementary award, which is a research subsidy of JPY1,000,000 yen will be presented in the first year, and the same amount of JPY1,000,000 yen will be presented in the next year. The award and the supplementary award will be given on the condition that the winners accept the invitation to attend the award ceremony held in Kyoto on Oct. 18, 2022 and that the winners continue to meet the eligibility requirements described above.
Application for the 2022 Masao Horiba Awards
Please follow the procedure below to apply for the awards.
- Prepare the following documents for attachments
- Application Form in PDF or Word format (English)
- Letter of Recommendation in PDF or Word format (English)
- 3 Research papers in PDF (English)
- Submit your application online:
Please access to the “Online Application” and submit all required document as described above
- Applicant and recommender’s stamp or signature are not required. However, we will send the verification email to verify you and your recommender. Please be sure that you and your recommender respond to this verification email separately. The application process will be deemed completed upon the receipt of the verification response emails from applicant and recommender. Due to this email verification process, it will take several days for us to send you the official application receipt notification.
For detailed information, please contact to the Secretariat of Masao Horiba.
Period of Open Application and Screening
Call for application for 2022 Masao Horiba Awards will open in March 15, 2022.
The members of the Screening Committee for the 2022 Masao Horiba Awards listed below will determine the winners through examination of the achievements and future prospects of the applicants, based on their application documents.
Applicants will be notified of the screening results by the end of July, 2022.
Award Ceremony and Commemorative Seminar
Award Ceremony and Commemorative Seminar: To be held on Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at Shirankaikan, Kyoto University. (Winners will conduct discussions and visual presentations that appeal to the general public.)
Publication of Awarded Research
Award-winning research will be published in HORIBA’s technical journal Readout.